Friday, May 11, 2012

Another Week in Quito.

Time is flying and I hate it! It needs to stop! I know time flies when you are having fun but this is ridiculous! Next week I will have officially been here a month... something about that just doesn't seem right! It feels like I have been here for months! And I LOVE it. I have enjoyed every minute of this experience.


This is going to be a longer post... with lots of pictures...

A couple things I love about Quito: (This is going to be a two part post... part one):

1. The kids.

I know the pictures last week were proof enough that I am with the CUTEST kids alive. But, really… do they come any cuter?

Morning Shift: Leave at 6:30am… arrive at the orphanage by 6:50-7am depending on traffic. This shift ends at 12pm. We walk in, change our shoes and anxiously head straight for the babies. It is funny, no matter how tired I am walking into that orphanage my energy kicks in as soon as it is time to get the children out of their cribs. We walk in to a chorus of “Hola chicas!” And quickly hug and kiss all of the babies (even though their diapers are filled with poop and pee)! We have to take their dirty sheets off their mattresses and it is ADORABLE. They do it so often that they will usually have taken the sheet off for us and yell “chica! Chica!” until we come and get their sheet. A worker comes in to bathe them all. We are in charge of stripping the kids down to their diapers (and then they sit in their crib) until it is their turn to be washed. We get the clean babies, I say babies (but I mean Sala dos and tres) and put diapers on them as well as their clothes and shoes for the day. We then drop them off in their play room. If we take too long… and there are more clean babies than ready volunteers they just put them in one crib and all the clean toweled/naked babies hang out together and wait for clothes.  After that we feed them breakfast (all are fed at once. Each volunteer gets a bowl of cereal/yogurt/jello and they huddle around us. We feed them each from the same spoon. Some of the kids in order to make sure they get their “fair share” will hop from volunteer to volunteer taking food from both bowls. Then we play with them. We take them on walks (only tres kids). We play outside. We dance, sing, and really enjoy each others company. They are smart, kind, fast, and funny. They dance to music and love to be tickled. They love kisses (besos) and are quick to give them. 



He's gone! He was adopted last week! Our first adoption since January!

Baby model!

I.LOVE.HIM.




The biggest difference with Sala Dos is that there are no walks because they can’t walk! Instead we spend our time with them helping them to crawl and walk and having a good time. They are adorable as well and fun to be around. I almost forgot… we are in charge of keeping the peace, changing diapers and wiping noses.
Sala Uno… they wash the babies… and we dress them. The rest of the day is spent playing new mom with a room full of 10 newborn babies! We feed them, change them, get peed/pooped on, clean up baby throw up and I love every second of it… note to self though: only have kids when you are ready… and don’t have 10 at once.
Also if you have dos… you get to pick out clothes for Dos/Tres for the next day. I love picking out their clothes. Baby clothes are just better than normal people’s clothes. And they look cuter than most people in them.
We have a lunch break from 12:30-2pm.



This is the kid I'm totally bringing to BYU with me. He looks like he could be mine! Right?!


I want him too. :) Really I'd take them all. 

Afternoon shift… We leave the house at 2pm and get to the orphanage around 2:20pm. We stay there until 6pm. Here we wake the kids up from their naps and take them outside, play with them… the same as we would for morning shift. At 3:30pm we begin the biggest challenge… Sopa. This is their dinner. We start with Sala dos and begin… Basically we each take a child… sit them on our lap/their own chair depending on their age… tie a bib around their necks and go at it. It is a war some days. They spit it out, they yell, cry, close their mouths, shake their heads and occasionally… throw it back up onto you. In their defense… it is kind of a lot of soup and the workers want them to eat it all. Plus, you should see some of these workers force feed… I am always impressed. Except that the kids are full and their bellies are bulging after dinner. It’s kind of fun… but really hard work. After dinner… we play until it is 5pm. At this point… we take a child one at a time and we get them ready for bed. Once they are in their onsie, pants and footie pajamas we put them back up in the play room until 5:45ish… we then put them in their cribs, give them a bottle and say good night for the night.
Whenever I change diapers/get them ready for bed… I try to take as long as possible without being obvious. I love being one on one with each of them and showing them a little personalized love. A smile, hug, kiss on the cheek, blow on their stomach or just pay them some attention. I love them. 









This boy was adopted last week toO!

The stitches... after his hand being slammed in a door. :/





That face! :))))








One of my favorite people in the world... She is an angel. 

Their adorably ingenious attempt at escape. 



Night shift… night shift comes at 6pm and stays all night until  7am when the other volunteers arrive. Basically… we take care of the newborns who eat every two hours. At 9pm we go around and change all of the kids diapers in Dos and Tres. They are adorable. They are half asleep as we flip the lights on and quickly begin. It is so heartbreaking to see them know the routine so well that they help you take their clothes off/put them back on… eyes closed half asleep. But, they are so cute! Then they get a bottle, we turn the lights off… and leave. At 10pm one volunteer goes to sleep for 4 hours. The other takes care of the newborn babies. At 2am… they switch. At 6am both of us wake up, take care of uno, brush the teeth of dos and tres… and then leave to go home and sleep, when the other volunteers get there.
I LOVE IT. I LOVE IT. I LOVE IT. 

Pretty sure he's supposed to be my baby... 



Such a little man... 

I love when they hold onto my finger as I feed them!

Look how long his pants are! He has a good 6-7 inches to grow! ;)


<3


I also love when they look at me!


Her cheeks are so cute!!



He's gone! So adorable!

This guy + the boy with stitches = Blake. 
I am also a site leader at a site for neglected/abused girls. :) I love it. It means I get to go every week and hang out with some of the sweetest nicest girls. They are amazing at making friendship bracelets and anything with beads. But, really they just enjoy crafts. Gosh. I love them. All of them! Here are a few. :)
Them crafting... and me attempting. 


Colby and 2 of the girls. 


The girl in the pink is THE sweetest girl EVER. 


They loved my free BYU shades. :)


Me and Danielle :)

I love my kids. I love my girls. I love every child at every orphanage we visit. I have been changing in so many ways. And I have never been happier. Please... let the time slow down.

6 comments:

  1. Hey sophie loo, Glad to hear and see that you are well and happy!!! I agree there is nothing better than a smile and hug from a little child. Being with them and learning from them is THE reason I'm still doing what I do...
    Know that you are learning alot about yourself too, which is a bonus!:) Luv ya, Aunt B

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally see why you are loving them, they are adorable and oh so sweet! I have to say there are a few little boys that even I would be tempted to bring home, and that is saying a lot, a whole lot! Carlitos has the funniest expressions and Hayden and I think (the picture of him in the yellow sleeper) reminds us of Blake. Okay, maybe the one trying to excape does too:)!

    The babies are so tender and it just breaks your heart to know they are there. The older girls look so kind and like they just want to be loved, it is hard to take it all in.

    I am so happy you are there. I know I keep saying it but I am glad that you are loving it. After rereading your blogs, I can't think of a better Mother's Day gift than to know that my daughter is there sharing her heart with those tender children. I am blessed, you are blessed and so are they.

    Sneak in a kiss for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sophia,
    I think you have become even more beautiful since you got there. Your smile has become more and more, not sure how to put it, but beautiful and real. Not that it wasn't before but I can see in your whole face that you love what you are doing. It seems incredible to me that you have been there for a month as well. Enjoy every sleepless moment of it, remembering that "Life is a journey not a destination". Beautiful children all the way around. I know you are changing lives.

    Love you,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the yawning pictures cause it reminds me of you as a baby dinosaur... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are just radiant in these pictures!! The kids seem to be getting cuter and cuter the more pictures I see! I'm so glad to see you having such a wonderful time and learning and growing so much! What an opportunity ahhh I'm pretty jealous I can't lie, but I'm so happy for you and the great experiences you are having! Those little kiddies are in the greatest of care and I know they love you as much as you love them! I have to say I think my favorite picture is of their attempted escape...what clever little kids :) so stinking adorable!! and wow do they have smiles that can just light up any room! And that baby boy...TOTALLY looks like it could be yours you should definitely take him to school with you! :)and that poor baby's finger...ahh I cringe for him! well take care my dearest beautiful Sophia :) i love you and miss you lots!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job Sophia!! They are all so precious. I really liked your mother's day post....it seems you "get it"!! :) It is hard to believe you are almost done there, but good also because your parents need their "baby" too. I am also excited to see everything you learned at cheer camp 2012. Love you!!

    ReplyDelete