Sunday, May 6, 2012

Sunday, May 6, 2012


We work 24/7 at the Orphanages. The shifts are from 6:30am-12pm from 2pm-6pm and then from 6pm-7am. And we normally work 2 of those shifts. (Either morning, and afternoon... or morning and night shift. Or some random combination of the three.. So... on Sundays you are either working or sleeping and church isn't usually an option!). Today (Sunday) I am only working the night shift. This never happens! And I was able to attend church. 

As we walked in we saw the missionaries. They were two native young men and I was hit with utter appreciation at their service. I thought to myself what a commitment that would be. How hard it would be to leave all that you and know and go to a new country/city/state for 2 years of your life. I felt such appreciation and gratitude for all of the missionaries I know that are serving in the field to day. I thought of William, Cody, Cory, Luke, Ben, Ryan, Steven, James, and Lewis (the ones who send me mail every now and again). And to see those two missionaries at church (come and shake our hands) and be so incredibly overjoyed with what they are doing gave me chills. I often see missionaries "in the field" at home... but I have never been out of the country and seen them. I don't know why it was such a difference for me. Perhaps because I too was a real minority. Perhaps because I know know what it feels like to understand about 1 of every 10 words being said. Perhaps because I was in a Chapel in a building that resembled my own looking at people who were far different than me, yet had my same beliefs.  I  am thrilled with the idea that though William and I are apart... we are together in service and the love of our Savior, Jesus Christ. 

My experience today was as I was sitting in Fast and Testimony meeting I felt like I should share my testimony. I never do that in any other ward than my own because I often feel out of place. But, I felt so incredibly comfortable. Which is not how I should have felt in a country that is so unlike my own, surrounded by people who are talking way to fast in a language I barely know. Just an affirmation at the truthfulness of this Church. The spirit was so strong (even though I understood only a little of what was being said) and the people so full of the light of Christ. I felt as if I was back home or at BYU. I know what it feels like to want to share my testimony and the feeling was too strong to ignore. As I sat there and flipped through my Spanish Book of Mormon looking for the right words to complete my sentences I knew that I just needed to get up there. I closed my book and thought back to the very limited vocabulary that I have. I prolonged getting up as long as I could until there was a silence that seemed to call my name. I stood up (surprising, Melissa, Karlee and Janessa, my new friends who went with me) and walked up to the podium. I began by saying my Spanish was not very good and that I knew very little. And instead of bearing my testimony in English so that my friends would understand and putting the congregation at a disadvantage (I guess I could have just trusted in the gift of tongues... but as the saying goes "oh ye of little faith..." ) I began in Spanish. My testimony went something like this. 
"Bueno tardes hermanos y hermanas. No se español. Mi español es no bueno. *smile* (I even think I forgot to say yo quiero compartir mi testimonia. or however it goes hah) yo sé que esta iglesia es verdad. yo Sé que monson de Thomas s es un profeta verdadero. yo sé que José Smith habló al Jesucristo. yo sé que las familias son eternas. yo sé que usted es mis hermanos y hermanas. te amo. en el nombre de Jesu Christo, amen." I left out half of what I had planned to say about God, prayer, and the gospel. But, as I stood at the pulpit I have never felt more love from a congregation. I have never looked out and seen such kind and loving faces full of support. I felt the spirit there stronger than I ever did at BYU, NC or EFY. I knew in that moment that the Church was true. That the people who were nodding and smiling in my direction are my brothers and sisters. That they love me. I have such a love for the people of this country from serving their children. I know that the church is set up by men through our Savior, Jesus Christ. I know that it is through our obedience to His commandments that we will discover His will and more about ourselves. I am grateful that I had to opportunity to stand and testify in a tongue that is not my own. I am grateful for the love and support in their eyes. I am grateful for the opportunity I have to be here, in Ecuador. I envy your ability to speak fluently and to proclaim frequently. We are not allowed to preach in the Orphanages but I often hum Primary songs and hymns to the children. I know that they know the truth behind the music. I know that they feel the meaning behind the words. I know with all of my heart that I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and that it is through this Gospel we have the ability to become better people, kinder family members and more dedicated and devoted Disciples of Christ. 

Words will never be able to express the love I felt from the people today. I will never be able to write down the feelings I had. I pray that I never forget who I am, why I am here and where I am going. Each of us has so much potential, strictly because we are Children of God. I pray that I have the ability to touch others so that their desire is to become a better person and to leave their "guilty pleasures" behind. It is my sincerest hope and desire that I can become even as one of these little children. That I too, one day, will radiate love in my eyes, kindness in my touch and sincerity in every word I do and don't say. 

I have not been so happy to be anywhere as I am here. I love what I am doing. I love these children. I love the person I am becoming. My heart is refusing to even entertain the idea that soon enough, I too, will have to leave. This world of service is so much better than the real world. I love the girls who are serving with me. It is amazing how quickly I have bonded with each of them. How we come from different backgrounds and circumstances but we are here for the same purpose. I feel like I have quickly made friends that I hope to keep forever. I really am having a wonderful time. This is one decision I will NEVER regret. 

I love this. I have night shift so now I have to go. :) A blog with pictures to come... ASAP!

6 comments:

  1. i feel like you are growing up so fast! you sound so mature..much older than your young age of 20 ;) i like it though. i would love to do what youre doing because these kids need you and that is so much more important than silly things. im glad you recognize that. sometimes i still wanna take my time growing up, but you sound so happy. i am so so proud. love you <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. You amaze me, and you do sound so mature in the love of the Savior. It makes me proud to know you. Your example makes me realize that I should aspire give more service. I really believe that is true discipleship and love my vicarious participation!

    Experiences like this are certainly life changing and it sounds as if you are beginning to experience that.

    My prayers are with you daily for support and safety. You are one special friend and example. Thanks you. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was so amazing to read! i loved reading it and reading about your testimony! Sophia i love your strength i have a hard time getting up in an english ward let alone could i do it in a foreign country! you are so amazing and i miss you so much! today instead of church myself and three guys went to all three dedicatory sessions for the kansas city missouri temple. i have never been to one before but it was such an awesome experience...i mean i got to hear from the prophet 3 times today as well with elder holland and elder hallstorm (70ty). but it was such an awesome experience and i loved every moment of it!! miss you love you be safe :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sophia,

    Don't worry about not being able to share the gospel in the Orphanage. The example of your love and service will be as positive an experience as any they could feel of Christlike love and service. I am glad to see you growing so much in what you are doing. The young missionaries you reference would all be so proud of you (if they could read your Blog) and would tell you the unselfish acts of kindness you do will introduce so many to the Gospel.
    I love you very much and couldn't be any prouder of daughter than I am of you. Thanks for fasting with me today!

    Keep being great!
    Love you,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a great example not only to me but also to everyone around you. One of the great many reasons why I cherish you so much as my friend is for your amazing strength and strong testimony. You are able to put in words the great many truths you know and it truly helps my own testimony to grow. I don't share my testimony near as much as I know I should but it doesn't mean I don't have one. I love this Church and this Gospel. I know it to be true with every part of me. Reading your blog is just another witness to me just how true and real this Gospel is. I love hearing about all your experiences and the great many things you are learning in your time in a different country. You are amazing Sophia and I can't put into words how much I love you! Thanks for being an inspiration to me as I know you are for all those who ever come into your presence. Your spirit is so strong. Never forget how wonderful you are and how loved you are! Te amo mi amiga :)Estoy muy excitado para el tiempo cuando nosotros vamos a estar conjuntos!

    con mucho amor,
    Kara

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is such an honor to be your mother. I love everything about you. I am sure my friends secretly think - enough about that daughter whom you think hung the moon! I love you and am never surprised to hear that you have shared your testimony in Spanish, English or to a group of strangers. You are a wonderful example of Christ and his teachings, I know that you will continue to grow and become closer to him. You inspire me to be a better person and I love that you love that sweet, sweet children.

    I love you and miss you, dearly.

    ReplyDelete