Sunday, May 13, 2012

Feliz Dia de las Madres!!

Happy Mother’s Day!

For the first time in my life I feel like I can truly understand what it feels like to be a mom. While none of the kids that I am with are my own, they might as well be. I love these kids. I love their snotty noses, their poopy diapers, the moments when they are whiny and even the times when I have to do a little bit of discipline. I have fallen in love with the kids from the 1 month old to the older girls at girls house.

Since being here I have learned that being a mom is more than just loving the good moments. I have a greater appreciation for everything my mom has ever done for me.  

Being a mom is being a cheerleader on the day when one of the babies takes her first steps. It's being the cleaning lady at the end of the day when you are tired and there are (what seems like) thousands of toys to pick up. It's being the cook (which we don't do) and the "feeder" on days when no one wants to eat and you're covered in goo. It's being the nurse and helping take out stitches, administer cold medicine (I know I gave my parents a run for their money in that area), holding down babies to rewrap their fingers. It's being a teacher and counting stairs as you walk up and down them. It's being the role model and correcting bad behavior and showing that it's way better to be kind than cool. It's being the coach and showing them how to run, throw, catch and somersault. But, most importantly it... being a mom is being a mom. It's a tricky combination of the impossible, tears, stress and hope. Being a mom is all about love. 

I have learned to love as my own mother (and with a little help from these kids) taught me. I love my mom. 

My mother is my ultimate role model (she and my grandmother). My mom exemplifies all of those qualities ten fold. She has been my friend, my cheerleader (even when she wishes I had been the one cheering ;)  ), my anchor, my best friend and most importantly my example. I am excited for my own family because of the pattern she has set for me. I am excited to love my children as perfectly as she has loved me. 

Even in my years of teenage angst and downright rudeness she was there. If there is own thing I took for granted it was coming home every afternoon from school to the smiling face of the woman who loves me more than anyone else. I took for granted sitting at night on her bed laughing with my brothers (which we now do around the holidays), I took for granted her selflessly making dinners she thought we would like EVERY night for dinner. I took for granted her throwing my friends cookie parties and making my house a place people wanted to be. 

I miss my mom all the time. I used to want all boys. However, with the way I love my mom... I NEED A GIRL. I cannot wait for my future family... I cannot wait for my kids and to tell them all about my first babies, the ones I took care of for 2 months.

My heart has been stolen. So to all you mother's out there... thank you. Thank you for loving your children the way that they should. And think about adopting my beautiful babies in Ecuador. They need some love too.

Mom, I love you. Thank you for everything.

Happy Mother's Day. 

3 comments:

  1. It does take a "motherly" experience to bring to light the true unconditionalism and love of our mothers!

    You do have an awesome mother and I love her too. She is an example in many ways and through the years, I have seen her grow into the best mother ever, from the time Chase was an infant. You are a lucky one indeed and her example is worth repeating! What a nice tribute to your mom. That would make any mother truly happy.

    What is it about mothers, anyway?!
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sweet daughter, thank you for your very kind and touching words. I am blessed to have you. I would agree that you are getting a taste of motherhood, but if you can imagine loving those children 100 times more than you do right now, then that is how you will feel when you have your own. It is this love that gets a mother through the "teenage years!"

    As I get ready to send my 3rd child off to school, there are times that I yearn to have you all back on my bed laughing and together at the dinner table. Reading your comments is a huge mother payday and one that I hope I am worthy of. I loved cheering you on, wiping your tears, picking you up and watching you grow.

    I know that one day you will be a wonderful mother and I too hope that you have a girl, because a daughter's love and friendship is truly a gift from God.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am commenting because you told me to..and just so you know i read it haha

    ReplyDelete