Thursday, January 19, 2012

The Cleaning Struggle.

OK. Whoever enjoys cleaning is lying. They love it being clean. I love it being clean. And coming from a relatively messy/organized person that means something. Right? Right.

Our apartment ever since we began cooking goes through dishes like CANDY. I feel like the sink is always full of new dirty dishes and the dishwasher is always ready to be unloaded. Either that or it's running.

I like organized chaos. OK. That's a lie. I tend to try and organize everything and put it in it's proper place... it's the putting things back that I am not so good at. And thus the cycle begins. Clean.... a shirt here... a jacket on the back of this chair.... a scarf that would really take 2 seconds to fold and put in it's bin has now temporarily found it's place on my bed... and then BAM! Just like that... the mess is back. And I am forced to clean. And it's not so much a mess... I mean all the clothes ARE folded. They just aren't put away. A folded stack on this chair... a folded stack on the floor... a couple jackets on the back of a chair... I mean who cares?

I do. It's weird. I like it clean. I like it organized. It bugs me to come into my room and see it messy... but, it's SO easy to keep it messy.

Same with the kitchen. I was taught to wash the pots and pans... but, my roommates put them in the dishwasher! So, they take up valuable space and then we have dishes in the sink. It bugs me, but I am not willing to wash EVERY pot and pan by hand... so the alternative will have to do.

Also, not having a vacuum is gross. We have to walk to the main building "check out" a vacuum and bring it to our apartment. And you get 30 minutes. Also... we live on the third floor. And they aren't nice light Oreck vacuums. They are the metal heavy ones. I broke last... Saturday night. And I decided we were NOT going anywhere till we got the carpet cleaned. I couldn't take it anymore. I hated coming into any room that had a floor. (Get it... every room) because it was NASTY! So, all 3 of us went to get one... Kara picked it out and carried it up the stairs. I started vacuuming and just couldn't stop. EVERY surface was vacuumed. Or.. just the floors. And then I finished the whole apartment, Jenna picked up the vacuum and carried it back down and we returned it. T is for team effort. Haha anyway, I kinda like vacuuming so, it was good.

Paper towels. OH HOW I MISS THOSE THINGS. Kara and I bought some from the creamery with the last of her meal plan... and they disappeared. I don't really know where they went? I need to check my car. Who knew you could miss something like... paper towels. I need them. I find myself in the kitchen yearning for a paper towel. Add that to the grocery list would ya?

The stove. Our stove gets SO dirty. We actually use it this semester... and it's white. And things magically just spill on it. Kinda annoying. And it quickly looks gross. But, we do a good job of maintaining and making sure it gets wiped up.

Next apartment I live in... Needs more homey-ness to it. Ours feels like a home cause Jenna and Kara are awesome! And I love living with them! And we are all BFF's. It just struggles to look like a home. Instead it looks like a home for troubled youth. And believe me... I'm troubled. But, I am no longer a youth.

Anyway, the apartment is getting clean. It's the staying clean part. Kinda stinks. I never realized how much my mom must HAVE to do to keep our house clean. I have been to downright DIRTY houses and I have been to ours... and I have been to one's in between. And I'll tell you what. My mom is Superwoman. Our house is awesome. And clean. And homey. And just kinda perfect.

One day... when I grow up... I'll be just like my mom! Fingers crossed... I have a long way to go!

Cleaning checks this Saturday... YESSSSSSSSSSSS.

3 comments:

  1. What kind words, from a sweet daughter.

    And, yes, I did clean and clean and clean. Even after I got a cleaning lady I still clean and clean and clean. Unfortunately, it is an unending cycle.

    Glad to hear that you like a clean house and are willing to work towards having one. I want to come visit often and stay long, a clean house will help make me happy, so that I feel comfortable staying even longer!!! Just a small benefit to your being a good housekeeper, your mother visiting, often:)!

    Oh and I guess you already know this but just wait until you get to clean up after lazy teenagers, now that will really make your day!

    Kudos to having wonderful roommates, that you love and consider family, college life doesn't get much better than that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One more thing, I really like blogs with pictures. And where exactly are those paper towels...

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah yes. I am a paper towel fan as well...Jessie never has any! It's a bummer. And, I only like good ones!!!

    It's always a pleasure to a mother's ears that her daughter appreciates and want to have a clean house! Good goin' girl! It is a challenge and it is also rewarding. Clean is good. (Maybe you should put a bug in your grandpa's ear (Your Dad's dad, of course!) that you are yearning for a vacuum. He likes buying those kinds of things! Just sayin'.

    Keep up the good work. You're a nut. And, cooking is good in many ways. Good experience and the way to track your points for success.

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete