Thursday, March 1, 2012

Ecuador..

So, I have yet to blog about the most EXCITING adventure of my life so far. In April I am going to go to Ecuador for two months. From April 19-June19 I will be in Quito, Ecuador working with children who are far less privileged than myself. I am so very excited to be involved in this opportunity. Actually I can hardly wait. 

I have talked to several of my friends who have done this particular service through this same organization. And so, that is how I decided to do it with this group. OSSO stands for Orphanage Support Services Organization. They have their own company run orphanage in Cuenca, Ecuador. They partner with several other orphanages in both Quito and Cuenca. 

A volunteer is able to go for a minimum of 1 week to a maximum of 8 months. During your time there you are expected to work 6 days a week. You will average 50+ hours a week working with the children. There is also additional time where you plan, prepare for and participate in meetings. And time to study Spanish. From 7-12 you are in the orphanage and then from 12-2 is Ecuador's seista. During this time you go home and enjoy lunch/a nap. From 2-6 you are back at the orphanages working. Around 6pm every day you come home for dinner, free time and bed.

On their website the conclude the what to expect section with:
"Serving with OSSO is a life-changing experience…for the children as well as for the volunteers! You’ll change lives, you’ll be loved by children who have no one else to love, and you’ll give love to those who wouldn’t get it otherwise. Your hearts will break and grow more than you thought possible, and if you go for the right reasons, have a good attitude and work hard it will impact you and the world for generations."

I got accepted to the program! They sent me a package last week that included:
  1. A checklist of what to bring (and when to start getting things ready)
  2. 2 OSSO luggage tags for my bags!
  3. A promotional DVD to watch. 
  4. A CD of Spanish children's songs. 
  5. And a OSSO hoodie.  Which I was so excited to get... I modeled it that day and even had a photo shoot for my blog.  
I really can't wait! Only... 48 days till I leave for Ecuador!!!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like an awesome experience, one that you are certain to grow from. It would be incredibly difficult, for me, to work in an orphanage, but I bet you will do a great job. Your cheerful spirit and loving heart will go a long way.

    I know you have worked hard and saved a lot of money do to this and the Lord will bless you greatly for your sacrifice of time and money.

    You will return a better person, and the children are going to love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so amazing Sophie! What an amazing opportunity.

    Did you hear how Grandpa thought it was me going to Ecuador? Apparently he was very worried and upset because of the whole Michael aspect of my life and wondering what I was doing leaving my husband for months. lol.

    ReplyDelete