Friday, April 20, 2012

Initial Reactions... Quito, Ecuador

After 3 flights... (Salt Lake to Dallas, Dallas to Miami and Miami to Quito) and free dinner on the plane (it was actually really good?) I made it to Quito, Ecuador. This will be my home for the next two months and I can't wait! :) I am so excited to start working with the kids.

Quito is a city in Ecuador. It's actually the Capital of Ecuador. But, I am definitely in South America.

It's really late here (1am) and I have a busy day of orientation tomorrow. :) I can't wait! Ah! I am so excited. But, here are some pictures and yes... some initial reactions.


  1. Everything, all signs, songs, pictures, posters, everything is in Spanish. 
  2. I wish I knew Spanish. 
  3. It's not a very clean city. 
  4. It reminds me of like... Little Korea in LA but, not nearly as nice. Or as well lit.
  5. The house is huge. We have security. And a passcode to even get in. I feel cool. And special.
  6. I have heard nothing but good about the kids and am SO excited to start!!
  7. The girls are all very nice. My new roommate is Brandi. :) But, all the girls are awesome!
  8. I've never been to South America before but I am so thankful to have had the opportunity to go out of the US before this! 
  9. I got to ride in a taxi! And listen to Enrique serenade us through the radio. 
  10. I'm going to really enjoy it here. In fact... I'm going to love it!
And... of course... pictures. :) of me. Not the city. haha


Sitting on my bed in Quito! :)

Lovin' every minute of it. ;)

My welcome goodies and note from my new roommate!

My clothes.
Yes, they do have a closet to hang things. I am sure my mom is mildly horrified by the sight of my clothes rack. :)

7 comments:

  1. so I LOVE that Enrique was playing on the radio :) I approve of Ecuadorian music choices!! haha and I love that everything is in Spanish because it means I will be able to talk to you in Spanish when I see you in the fall!! woohoo estoy muy feliz que tu estas en Ecuador y quiero esuchar sobre todas las adventuras!! tu necesitas sacar MUCHO fotos porque fotos son la mejor :) te amo mi amiga :) estoy un poco triste porque no puedo ver tu carra hermosa por cuatro meses pero se que tu vas a tener la mejor tiempo este verano!! :) tengo mucha gracias que tu estas mi amiga porque te amo mucho much MUCHO!!! ten cuidado!!

    ~C.T. :)
    p.s. me gusta hacer cosas de rata de hood con mis amigos! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck, Sister Giler? I miss you already

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear, I am more than mildly horrified! Why didn't you hang your clothes up, so they wouldn't be a wrinkled mess???

    Glad that you are loving it, but I bet when you meet those sweet little kids you are going to love it even more. You will probably pick up some Spanish just out of necessity!

    So nice and thoughtful that your roommate had goodies and a kind note waiting for you! Keep having fun and I miss you already:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you Sophie!! And I'm so excited for you to have the adventure. Please do keep us updated! Maybe you will come back speaking a little espanol eh?

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad that we heard from you and know you are in a huge house with a security code :)

    Don't worry about the wrinkles you are in South America now and they don't even care especially the kids lol
    (sorry to contradict you Linda)

    You are going to learn Spanish soooo fast! Keep smiling and love every minute of your time there <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I finally got the invite! YEA!!! I'll be a loyal follower. What a noble act of service you will be performing.

    Love you and my prayers will be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am glad that you decided to go to Ecuador. You will have great experiences and will always remember the people and your time there. Looking forward to following your blog!

    ReplyDelete