Sunday, November 21, 2010

Missions. This post is LONG. This post is intimidating. This post is for my REAL fans. ;)

What's been on my mind recently...

I have been writing several missionaries lately. I actually really enjoy getting hand-written letters and replying. It makes me feel loved. More than a Facebook post or an email. I love writing and getting letters. There is just a difference between opening the mailbox and finding something handwritten (that someone took time to write and personalize just for you) and opening your email and finding a virtual letter that took someone like 10 min to write. Let's just face it, it's nicer to see the thought in their handwriting as opposed to the text on a screen. Or, at least for me. However, I love getting both.

I have always thought a lot about missions. Always. I have seen the good and the bad missionaries come into our ward. BUT almost every single missionary carries with them a special spirit. I am drawn to that spirit and enjoy hanging out with the missionaries because of it.

I just think A LOT about it. It's on my mind a lot of days.


I have for the most part (with a few exceptions) always had negative thoughts about the majority of the sister missionaries. And I had often heard the male missionaries refer to the sister missionaries as weird or different. In fact my favorite thing I heard Chase said regarding the subject is, and I quote: “The sister missionaries well 95% of them are just weird. And there is DEFINITLEY a reason they are on missions. Like you just know something is wrong with them. But, then there are the 5% who are exceptionally pretty and normal and you just have to wonder what’s wrong with them and why they are out serving.” I laughed when I heard that.

But I still think maybe a mission is for me. 

I was counseled by a friend the other night. He said “prepare everyday as if you are going to serve a mission. Start doing what you need to do to be ready to serve now. And if the time comes and it feels right, you are prepared and ready to go. If the opportunity never presents itself think of how much better you now know the gospel that you’ve been preparing to teach it for so long.” 

In 2 Nephi chapter 29 verse 9 I loved when it said that the Lord’s work “is not yet finished; neither shall it be until the end of man…” This stuck out to me because the Lord’s work is in our hands. It is up to us to be ready to spread his gospel, to share it with those who have yet to receive it. His work is never finished, and so neither is ours. We must be his diligent and faithful servants in all times, all things and in all places.

I know that I don’t have to BE a missionary to BE a missionary. I can be one now and keep others on the straight and narrow with my actions. I know what it is like to be an example to others. Growing up in a non-friendly Mormon atmosphere, I know the challenge. I can rise to the call. And if my time comes, I will be ready to serve.

Just what's been on my mind recently. 

2 comments:

  1. I always say, "it's good to keepyour options open!" I know you will make the right decision, at the right time. You are a wonderful young lady, with much insight. I love, love the handwritten letters I have from Chase, while he was on his mission. I will treasure them, always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good grief! I was expecting a super super super long post with that header! You make me laugh.

    This post made my heart sing. As long as I have known you as a young adult, I have considered you a true missionary. Growing up in the mission field, you have had many opportunities to be the example to your friends that a fine missionary would be...and you have really done that. I think that all of your friends, casual associates, and teachers alike would agree. Everyone knows what you stand for and how firm you stand for the Savior's teachings.

    I, for one, have always been, and continue to be, proud of the person that I know in you. And, on top of all this, you are cute, stylish, funny, entertaining, and darling!

    Lastly, I'll try to write a personal note when possible.
    Love you.

    ReplyDelete