Thursday, September 23, 2010

English Journal #2

This week's prompt is:  (And while I should've done this Sunday... I'm finally doing it now!) 
          
          "  People used to believe that comets were “portents”—warnings from God that let them know their standing with Him.  When the law of gravity was discovered, however, they found that comets traveled in predictable orbits dictated by the law of gravity and they stopped believing that God sent them as warning.  Before the discovery of the law of gravity there were (essentially) no (Western) atheists.  But afterwards, atheism was a significant theological movement.  Is there an inherent contradiction between science and religion?  Can you believe in God and gravity at the same time?"

I think that there is an inherent contradiction between science and religion simply because as long as there is religion and God there will always be someone working to prove it wrong. Before they may not have been working to strictly disprove the idea of God but in succeeding to prove that there IS in fact a scientific explanation they discover a way to remove God. 

I believe that in anything and everything there is reason to trust that there is a God. Especially when it comes to science! There is no other explanation for the way that things work so perfectly like they do. Gravity is just one of many scientific principles that work all to well to just be chance. 
The Principle of Gravity
I'd go and explain just what all that picture means, but i'm in physical science this semester and am NOT feelin' it. That class is the DEATH of me. I am not a big fan of science so, the explanation of God works just fine for me. I am not one to seek out answers when it comes to the earth and gravity and all that scientific nonsense! Well, not nonsense, I do believe in some of what they say as well. But, I think that there will forever be a permanent contradiction between any science and God. The big bang theory is another example of science vs. God. 

The idea that the world was created by a huge explosion of dust and other space particles just doesn't add up to me. How someone can believe that is incredible! I think that scientists are afraid of religion for the most part, afraid of conforming and finding out that so much of what they DO believe is wrong. Especially since I just took a trip to our planetarium and looked up at the sky and the stars, everything is too perfect to just be chance.
The "Eye of God"  I thought it looked cool.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I'll stick with the "And God created" theory too! The whole metaphysical thing is way too complicated and difficult. I have no interest in it and have complete faith in our world being in the hands of Heavenly Father. Good luck in that class.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK. I said I would add one more when I spoke to you on the phone. As a science geek, I love this one and it came from my dad, who is agnostic.
    As you know when things get hot they rise (and expand) and when they get cold they sink (because they contract). However, for some unknown reason water (required for all life on the earth) does something a little odd. At 4 degrees Celsius (water freezes at 0 degrees Celsius) water stops sinking and begins to rise. An then, for an unknown reason changes its frozen structure that expands (instead of contracts) to something that floats on water. Why does that matter you ask? Here's the deal. If it would sink down like everything else does, ice would form on the bottom of the lake, than more water would freeze and stack on top of the other ice. Eventually, the entire lake would become frozen (not just the surface) making it completely solid and unable to support any aquatic life (as well as human life since we need the liquid to survive). So do you think that anomaly happened by chance? The likelihood of that is very low. I would be willing to say that some being, smarter and ultimately more powerful than us, made that happen so that all life could continue to exist on earth. But that's just me.
    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete