Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Journal For English #1

For part of my English grade I am to keep a journal. However, I have to write in response to the prompts she gives us. My first one is "1.      Think about a big project or assignment you're going to have to do this semester (for any of your classes).  Write for twenty minutes about possible ways to divide the assignment into smaller bits that can be done a little at a time."

The worst project I will have to do this semester are my simple quizzes for anthropology. Because my professor has a sick sense of humor, the simple quizzes are ANYTHING but simple. The simple quiz MUST be a "perfectly structured essay, admirable in every detail, on the following theme..." (Fill in the blank with a prompt that is a paragraph in length and asks us to "draw extensively on the book for examples." It also must be "2332 words of truth and beauty." Now, this wouldn't be such a daunting task if it was just ONE of these, but no, I have THREE to do this semester. The final exam will also be a lengthy paper! So much writing for just one class! And on top of it we have so much additional work! It's insane! High school in NO way prepares you for this type of learning and expectation! 

I will divide these assignments into smaller bits by doing just that. I will try to take time to do some work for the upcoming simple quiz each week. Whether it is the assigned reading for the essay, understanding the prompt in its entirety, re-reading the chapters looking for examples, writing the essay and actually attending the lectures. This, however, is not an easy task for me. Simply because I AM A PROCRASTINATOR. It's hard to find a student who isn't these days. Also I am used to a school where the teachers tell you EXACTLY  what they are looking for and WHEN it is due! All this uncertainty of when things are due and what exactly is assigned is extremely overwhelming and makes me extremely nervous!

1. Reading for the essay. I am attempting to keep up with my reading (not just for this class but for all). The key word is attempting. I have a minimum of 2 books for each class that I am taking. It's crazy. And unreal. Like I said overwhelming. I often lose track of where I am in what book, and what I am supposed to be looking for. But, I do enjoy reading and am trying to make the best of this assignment. 

2. Understanding the prompt. We are discussing the prompt in my anthropology labs. It is a lot easier to focus in that class as it is so small and the teacher seems to want to help. It is taught by a student, one who has taken his class before and that too is nice. It seems like a good resource and I WILL be taking advantage of it.

3. Re-reading the chapters will take some time. But, I do have a general idea as to where some of the examples are. Plus the TA is taking quotes from each of us and making a website, a sort of database, full of quotes we can use in our paper.

4. Writing the essay and attending the lectures are easier said than done. Well, writing at least. But, I do need to get a head start on that paper. As it hangs over my head. Its quite frightening actually, this whole college classwork thing. I'll be lucky to graduate alive. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment