Wednesday, October 6, 2010

My First Time to Conference!

First of all, I would like to explain that I HAVE in fact been to Temple Square. I have seen it in the daytime, at night, with Christmas lights, and even under construction. Everyone who found out I was going to Conference for the first time immediately decided that it MUST have been my first trip to Utah. Upon hearing I have never BEEN to a session of General Conference I usually get a stare of disbelief. Followed by a judgement on my spirituality and testimony (now they don't say this out loud, but i'm sure it's going through their minds).


HOWEVER, I unlike many of my newly acquired Utah friends, have been outside of Provo AND out of my state. I have seen both coasts, England, France, the Bahamas, Belize, other random Islands and quite a few of the 50 states. I have eaten in a cafe in Paris, gone to Buckingham Palace, seen ocean water clearer than water from the tap, eaten delicious deserts (and meals) from a cook who makes a mean Trifle like you wouldn't believe (My Mom), I have had REAL southern food (Grandma Nancy), HECK I have had some DANG good southern food from Bojangles, I have partied hard with the best of 'em (The Z's), I have held naked cats (Tanners), eaten grits and woken up at 5am for seminary. I, my friends from (and some not from but mostly from) Utah AM cultured. So, if you will stop giving me those looks when I say i've never been to a session of General Conference. And you know what. I now have that under my belt as well. BOOYAH. :)

The 3 of us at conference.
Chase hates this picture. He says he looks like a fat midget.
I couldn't crop him out though. 
My week has been so stressed.

I have felt the pressure of college full force as i'm finally in the swing of things. Its SO hard. High school did NOT prepare me at all. Socially it's a lot of fun. But academically it's beyond hard! AH!

I am not going to post my General Conference notes. I took quite a few. And that would take a long to type them all up. I will bring them home at Christmas for all of you who wish to read them (aka my wonderful mother). Plus, why are you reading mine?! Shouldn't you have taken some yourself?!

General Conference was amazing live or in person. The biggest difference was how TRULY amazing the Mormon Tabernacle Choir is. Like HOLY COW. Beyond amazing. The spirit was SUPER strong and singing with all those people in the Conference center (Aunt B said it holds like 21,000) was an experience all in itself. I loved going.

Saturday night.
I got my hair trimmed.
I asked her to show me how to curl it using the straightner.
This was the result.
This is Mariss. My PiC. :) 

 Chase before leaving to the Priesthood Session. I love him.
My mom says my hair like this makes me look older.
What do you think?!
After looking at these. I realized I have none of my beautiful and amazing Aunt Brenda. Which truly is a shame. Next time I see her expect a picture. She must be represented. As I love her TONS and she is the BEST Aunt (from Utah ;) her joke) that we could EVER ask for! And her hugs are extremely good almost as good as my Mom's.  But still really good and always much needed (Shout-out to you Aunt B :)  ).

I was asked to Homecoming by my good friend Lewis. I had just gotten home. My roommates had called and made me come home from a friends house because they had something REALLY important to tell me. Upon arriving home. They said there really was nothing. So, I was like really?! Instead of going back, I decided to get some reading/homework done. A few minutes later there is a banging on my door. Jacob is there:
Jacob. Me. Lewis.
I had to digress so you could SEE Jacob. He's from Winston Salem, NC and is BEYOND funny. Anyways. Like I was saying, Jacob comes and tells me I'm needed on the balcony. I get up and follow him from the basement to the 3rd floor out the door to the Balcony. I go out there confused as to why I needed to go there. I go outside and hear a guitar strum.

*A couple nights before Lewis and our friend Brian came to our window at 2am. Playing us Howie Day's Collide and singing along. We went outside and listened to them play. They are quite the performers. Lewis ended up on the ground doing a guitar solo while spinning in circles. Intense? We thought so. ;)*
Brian and Lewis. Performing. Ha.

Me and the Boys. :)
Ok. So hearing that I laughed. Knowing it was those two again. I looked down off the balcony to see them playing and Lewis singing. This time the song selection was Wonderwall by Oasis. He sang the first 2 verses. On the third he freestyled it with lyrics like: "Sophie.. Will... You..... Go... To.. Homecoming.. With... Me..." I responded with "Of course i'll go with you Lewis!" He proceeded to turn to the people passing by, and watching and yelled "SHE SAID YES!!" Hahaha those boys are too funny.

Homecoming is normally a date to a dance. But, due to lots of reasons we decided NOT to go to the dance! However, I do NOT mind this at all. I've been to 4 so far at BYU and while they are lots of fun, they are a lot like EFY dances. So, I know what i'm missing. INSTEAD. I think we're going to hike the Y! Something I have yet to do! I am SO EXCITED! :)

That's my post for the day. More to come this week... hopefully. :)

2 comments:

  1. Okay, first, I laughed so hard so hard about the "fat midget" comment that I had tears running down my face. I mean I must have laughed for at least 10 minutes, your dad thinks I'm strange! I am sad that there are no conference notes, it's just interesting to see what you thought of it and what was important to you, I guess it's a mother thing. A serenade - wow, I have never been serenaded! Well, your dad has sang to me before but never to ask me out and defiitely not in front of other people. Well, that is probably a good thing because I'm not so sure I would have liked it. But, kudo for Lewis. Keep working hard and it will pay off. I love Brenda too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're too funny! If you took time to post several times a week, it would take the same amount of time and we could enjoy it more often.

    Whoa girl, that is a lot of information!

    I like your hair and Marissa is too cute too and Chase looks just fine. What the?!!

    College is hard and that's that.

    ReplyDelete