Thursday, January 20, 2011

College Reflections!

One of my young women's leaders sent me a facebook message the other day with a list of the following questions:


1. What do you wish someone had told you about college?
2. What temptations are the same from high school, what are different temptations than you experienced in high school?
3. what has been disappointing or different from your expectations?
4. what is your favorite part about college?
5. Is living on your own different than what you thought it would be like....better or worse?
6.How often are your beliefs/morals/principles challenged by your friends? And in what ways are they challenged?
7. How has your relationship with the Lord changed...better or struggling a little?



I figured for my blog it can't hurt to keep those answers for my own personal reflection right?! 


1. Being away from home. It sounds like a lot of fun. You get to hang out with you friends whenever and wherever you want to! You get to go to bed when you choose. You get to do your homework whenever you’re feeling it. Heck, you get to eat and spend your money however you choose. One of the hardest things about leaving was leaving my family. It really is so true that you don’t know what you got till it’s gone. I miss my family like crazy. The things you can’t stand about them become the things you miss the most. The things you love about them haunt you and make you miss them more. But, it is fun. It is a lot of fun. And, I am thankful I had the opportunity finally learn what it will be like to be on my own. I miss my family, but it has taught me what love truly is. And, what it means to truly miss someone.

2. Ok. Let me put the rumors to rest. ;) BYU has drinking, it has drugs, it has sex, and it has everything any other school has. It is on a smaller scale and it is kept under wraps. But, it is here. It may not be as much of a temptation because the majority of people frown upon it. If you want it, it’s here. However, there is a different kind of temptation. You lose your identity. Ask yourself who you were in high school. I’ll tell you, you were the Mormon. You were the Mormon and people labeled you as such. However, out here… everyone is Mormon. You surround yourself with thousands of people who are guess what… just like you. But, their standards are different. Some will watch R rated movies, some will drink, some will think necking and petting are OK ;) (that was for you) and some will abide by every rule that is under the sun. It’s finding out where you fit in. What your standards are. And when all the Mormons are putting in an R-rated movie do you have the guts to be the one to stand up and say something?

3. Something that I have been disappointed with is myself! I was (pretty much) an all A student. And grades were not hard to maintain. I’m sure all of you know that as well. I’m sure it’s very easy to make good grades and I’m sure hardcore studying is not what you do on your weeknights. But, it is required. I made a 3.28 GPA my first semester. My second C ever. Ever. Like in the history of my grades. I was disappointed but who cares? Everyone makes a C. It’s actually healthy. Classes are hard. You think you’re prepared but that first exam comes around and guess what… you weren’t you gotta study! You have to work to make the grades. I was disappointed that I slacked a little! Something different than my expectations though was again the severity of the schoolwork! I thought oh I can handle it but, it is HARD HARD HARD. Get used to working hard because it doesn’t get any easier.

4. I love the freedom. I love being able to go wherever and whenever I want and NOT HAVING TO CHECK IN! It is such an amazing feeling to be on your own. It’s sad but it’s worth it! Making your own schedule and picking who and what you do is so great. It’s hard to manage your time and not procrastinate. But, getting out of class and going out to eat without calling to ask if it’s ok first is like so liberating! Ha. I also like meeting new people. It is so fun to sit next to people and just talk! Granted not everyone is nice and willing to talk but, it is fun to just be who you want to be! I have the goal to go to the same class every day and sit next to someone different each class. I want to give them a fake name/background story. But, I always try to sit next to someone who looks fun/cute… so I never do. Because I don’t want them looking for a Stephanie Harting on facebook! But, meeting tons of new people is a plus. It’s nice to get out of Charlotte and talk to people who have had far worse, harder, more exciting etc… lives!

5. I kinda covered this in the beginning. Different. And the same. Making food sucks. I miss my mom’s home cooked meals. I miss MY bed. MY room. MY car. MY job. The list goes on and on! But, it is different in that while I knew I’d miss my family, I miss them more than I thought possible. It is different in that it feels good to manage your life. It is different in that I can’t go home. But, it is better because I love my new roommates. I love my new ward. I love being here. I can’t imagine going anywhere else. I love that I belong! College has it’s ups and downs. It’s a roller coaster for sure. But at least the ride is fun right?

6. Ok. They are challenged a lot. Because, there are people who have done far worse and people who have done NO wrong (it would seem). It becomes hard to say where you lie. Because, well everyone judges! Either you’re super inexperienced or you’re bad. It takes a lot of thought to answer some questions. But, once you find the people you trust it’s awesome. However, they are challenged! You will meet (out here) all kinds of people from literally all over. They will say/do things that you would never do. And they will ask you to join. The question becomes do you say anything. Is a NCMO (non-committal make-out) really that bad? Is one R-rated movie so terrible. The list goes on and on. But that is only until you find your place. With your roommates. Or the girls in your class. Well, I have tons of guy friends, but, once you find you niche it gets better. It gets easier. There will always be temptation. Whether it is to cheat on a quiz or homework, watch an inappropriate movie or say/do things that weeks ago you would’ve never done, the temptation is there. Be strong! As Alma says " O thou child of hell, why tempt ye me? Knowest thou that the righteous yieldeth to no such temptations?" :) And you can take that knowledge to any school you go to!

7. Being at BYU has strengthened my relationship ten-fold. It really is the Lord’s university. You walk around campus and everyone has the same religious beliefs as you. Basically. Yes they will differ and yes they are on different levels. But, everyone knows who Nephi, Joseph Smith or Thomas S. Monson is. It’s comforting. But, college has been hard. It is nice knowing that because we have the gospel we have medicine for the hard times! Life isn’t always going to be easy. There is going to be temptation. There are going to be hard things and hard classes and struggles. But the Lord is there and he is always there. I love going to a college where I can take religion classes. They are ridicuoulsly hard. They have been some of my harder classes. But they are well worth it. I have learned more in those classes than I have at any fireside or seminary class. Because BYU is unique in that it offers “institute” as a class and you go more than once a week, your testimony grows. ONLY IF YOU PUT THE EFFORT IN. I love going. I love praying. I love my Heavenly Father and my Savior and I know He lives. How truly amazing it is to go to a school that intertwines faith and education. It truly is wonderful to go to a school where prayer is prevalent. I love it here. I love being here. I am where I belong. BYU is amazing! My first semester was hard, yes. And I relied on the Lord and my parents a lot. But, it was not impossible and CLEARLY I made it through. It had the bad but it was also filled with the good!

Look into it! It’s not hard! All the information (deadlines, scholarships and overall information) are there on the website! BYU-I is an amazing school as well! I have met several people who go there now and friends who went/are there. They love it. Any school is good though! Don’t mess around too much or get to upset to leave high school because it only gets better! :)



Hopefully these answers reflect the roller coaster ride of emotions my first semester truly was!!


Picture time! :)


Aly, Melinda (one of my new roommates), Me and Jenna after the basketball game against TCU!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you summed it all up pretty good! I know that you are one of the valiant, and that's a good thing, a very good thing! I know you miss sharing the gospel with your friends but you can be a light and an influence for good, wherever you are! And with that cute smile and those cute friends, life looks pretty good! p.s. you don't look like a Stephanie, maybe a Lauren but not a Stephanie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, that's a pretty good wrap-up I'd say! I am so happy to hear that you love the Y. I loved it too! I can remember the day that your mom told me that you were accepted. How proud I was! It's really an honor, you know. It's a dang hard school to get into!

    And you are valiant. I love that.

    ReplyDelete