Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Couple Things I Learned Lately...

In my Study Skills class we talked about BYU and learning to do better academically.

First! The average ACT score for 2010 incoming Freshman was a 28. The Average GPA was a 3.79. Over the past 3 years the number of applicants has increased and the number of accepted applicants has decreased. So, in essence if you don't fall above those scores, you fall below it. (I'm sure other schools have similar statistics but... I'm at BYU so that's why I picked here).

He then showed a picture where it had the BYU logo and the words saying... BYU where you best hasn't been good enough since 1875. We are surrounded by people and teachers always telling us we did good but we could've done better. Or we did bad and there is room for improvement. A student raised his hand and said something I've noticed a lot here is that people have the mindset "if i'm not smart at EVERYTHING, i'm stupid."

We talked a lot about HOW BYU is different from other schools. He asked "how many of you came from somewhere where you were the only or one of few members at your school." Five of us raised our hands. "And what were you known as in school?" "The Mormon." "And now what... now what are you known as?" -Silence- "You've come here and you've lost your identity.

You are now ONE of 30,000 students. Scary huh? I'm sure many of you experienced feelings of fear, identity loss and loneliness. It's normal.

Moving along. There are 3 Tips to do better Academically:

  1. The desire (to learn)
  2. A belief in yourself
  3. Self-Discipline
You have to exercise your brain. Texting takes... LITTLE brain power. Same with video games and TV. To exercise your brain you must read,  communicate, go to class, participate with others, WORK on schoolwork and be active and interactive. It is alright to sit and relax watching TV, playing video games or texting. But, those things should not take up very much of our day. Just as you can make a muscle stronger by exercise you can make it weaker or less sharp by little to no exercise.

He showed us a video about Kim Peek. I had never heard of him. But, I found the video quite remarkable. 


I'm not sure why I thought this was so cool. Rereading it... it's really not. But, I typed it all out so it's staying. That video is my picture for the day. Sorry! I forgot to take one with Matt when we went out to lunch today.

1 comment:

  1. The part about losing your identity makes sense as it sounds like what you were describing to me while you were home. Seems like you have some interesting classes and are learning some good things. THis post reminds me of a quote CHaase sent me while on his mission "Good is the enemy of great!" I love that, it is so true. Tomorrow, I hope to see a picture of you!

    ReplyDelete