Monday, January 10, 2011

Thoughts altogether...

Ok! So recap of today...

I had a BLAST for FHE today. Our FHE brothers are BEYOND fun.  They are all very sweet and into actually having FHE or Family Home Evening. And actually planning it. It's a nice breath of fresh air.

I met a boy from Ukraine today! He sat next to me in one of my classes! It had been a long time since I'd heard someone speak with a Russian accent so, it took sometime getting used to! His name is Maxim. Or, Max.

Ha I opened a bank account with Wells Fargo. I need to access my money.

Umm.. I took my 2nd ASL class today. I hope it's not too early to say I love it. I'm slowly falling in love with using the language. And I just feel such strong feelings for my Professor. It's weird to explain. Like she talks well signs (she's actually deaf) and I can just tell she is SUCH a sweet person, with such good intentions. And like (In a not weird way) I feel love for her. And compassion. It's like I just want to help her. Like I want to give her my hearing even just for a day. It's really not fair. I can't imagine going through what she has had to her whole life. Not being able to hear would be near unbearable. Never hearing her own voice, hearing others, hearing the TV, even whistles when playing sports (instead the ref has to throw his hands in the air to signal a call), never hearing praise, or support. I just feel like it is all taken for granted. I am so thankful that I have the ability to walk, talk, see, smell, hear and have full function of my brain and body. How often we complain about our inability to do something, but, it can always be worse.

A picture as I digress... This next part is of a more spiritual nature than anything else.

At the game on Saturday!


I had an amazing interview with my new Bishop yesterday. He is such an inspired man. I felt the Spirit so strongly as I walked into his office. As I talked to him about my family, my friends back home, the things I wanted to do with my life, my talents and hobbies, I knew he was truly interested. I knew he WANTED to know. Something I feel I need to write down so I don't forget it is something he said to me. As we were talking about my life goals he said " I want you to know, it didn't take long for the Spirit to tell me what a special young woman you are. You are destined for greatness. Wonderful things are headed your way. Be careful with the choices you make, be careful with the young men. Especially here things tend to move much faster than they would anywhere else. But, I know you of all people will make the right decisions." The whole experience was something I needed at this time. I finally feel like i'm in the Ward I belong. It feels right here. The people are nice and the boys are friendly. The people here genuinely care. I feel like I will become a better person here more than I would've in my other Ward.

He also counseled me on the importance of prayer and daily scripture study. I had made a resolve to pray morning and evening before I left. I did that for a good week. Upon arriving home I got out of that routine partly because of jet lag and partly because I had broken my habit. I just was less focused. I woke up late and rolled out ready to start my day. I went to bed late and passed out.

But, I am determined to start that habit again. Starting last night. Elder Christofferson came and spoke to us last night. I feel so privileged to be around General Authorities and men of great influence (Condeleeza Rice comes the 13th!!). Seeing them speak in person is unreal. He told us to prepare now for the future but not to live in it. He counseled us to start doing things now to prepare us for the future. He told us to live day by day. He talked about prayer. He incorporated Moses and the Children of Israel and their wandering for 40 years. He told the story about the manna falling from the sky. How to be fed they needed the Lord's help. That it was through Him and keeping His commandments they were able to be fed and eventually provide for themselves. He told us how important it is that we live by the same principles. Manna is known as "Bread from Heaven" and it is a type of Christ. That we should live our lives in similar ways. That we should seek Christ's help and guidance everyday and night. We weren't sent here to fail, our existence here isn't chance and we don't need to do it alone.

It was just such a good fireside and day altogether. We talked about prayer at church as well. And becoming more Christlike! I don't think it is just a random common theme that seems to be going around! It definitely was brought to my attention (in my opinion) because I so need to work on it!. We live in such a tough world. Even here at BYU (the gathering of all Mormons or Happy Valley as it's called) there are places to err. And things to mess up and ways to be unkind and just plain bad! It too is full of the good and the not so good. I realized from the speakers that it just doesn't make sense for me to try to do it all on my own! To take the knowledge I've been given for granted. I think something I love most about religion is that everyone is different. Everyone believes in something different. Everyone understands things on a different level. But that most religions are taught to pray. I mean the Muslims pray everyday five times a day facing East! Christian Churches have Sacrament Prayers. I think it's interesting that pretty much all humans involved in religion are taught how to give thanks and to plead for help.

It is a comforting feeling to know that religion aside, most everyone, believes that they are a Child of God. That because they are a Son or Daughter of a King, they have that divine spark within them to communicate with a higher being.

Sorry this is long. I could go for hours really. But, I could talk your ear off about just any subject I find interesting. Tomorrow I have something cool planned it's something I learned in my Student Development/College Study Skills class. I really liked it. Anyway, I have to shower. My hair was looking kinda greasy (so I wore a hat all day). I'm thinking a pixie haircut... any thoughts? ;) Mom?

2 comments:

  1. First, no to the pixie! Yes, to you have an awesome Bishop. I couldn't agree with him more. I am so glad that you are loving your second semester and that you are happy and motivated. I agree it would be hard to not have your sight or hearing, that is why we must always recognize how blessed we are and not take them for granted. Wow! What a great day you had. I second everything you heard today, don't take your eye off the prize!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always fun to take a minute (or two, or three, or.....well you get the picture!) to read your reflections and observations.

    I always love it when I have leader (Bishop or otherwise) that inspires me to be my best self and has confidence in me as a spiritual being.

    Personally, I think a pixie could be dang cute! Your mom looks super cute in short hair and I have no doubt you would be too!

    Your Bishop gave you some inspired advice. Follow it.

    I'm with your mom all week, so check our blog for funny things!

    ReplyDelete