Thursday, January 13, 2011

So,  Today I have my second day of ice skating class! I am excited to go and perfect my moves on the ice. ;) Hopefully I can get to go a couple times outside of class as I really like skating! I am super excited! I also got to see Condeleeza Rice today! She came and spoke for our forum! It was really good and she is quite funny!

She talked a lot about the importance and difference her family had made in her life. Which is so true. I am so grateful for my own family. And their love and support. For my parents willingness and means to start a fund for my education and the help they've been able to offer me. I know very few people have that opportunity. I know when it comes to parents I am TRULY blessed.

She also addressed the unique country we live in. That we are able to live in a country where we have a Democracy. And what a wonderful system of government it is. She talked about how different it is that we live in a country that when we get tired with the people leading us we have the power to "kick the bums out." How true!! And how lucky we are that we are able to switch up our leaders. There are so many countries out there that are continually oppressed but are unable to actually do anything about it.

Then she talked about the opportunities we have and the importance of an education. Which are both things which are also unique to the United States. The fact that we are able to go and do what we want, when we want (essentially) because of the country we live in is one that I think the majority of us take for granted. I know I certainly do. A lot of times I don't think about the fact that I am able to get a job, go to school and worship the way that I want where there are millions  billions of other people who do not have the ability to do so.

She talked about having a firm belief that you brightest future and change for good are possible. She also stated that "the headlines of today are not how history will remember it." That it is the overall outcome that is remembered. It is important that we live with that same idea. That the trials and downs of the day are not how our life will be remembered. That what we do with our life and knowledge is how we will ultimately be remembered. She talked about remembering the past. That in 1989 after the USA kicked Russia out of Afghanistan we abandoned them. We allowed a group called the Taliban (the meaning of Taliban is students), we allowed a group of students to come in and take control of 95% of this failed state. They created their government and rule and on 9/11/01 they attacked the United States. She stressed our importance to remain there and to help Afghanistan, to not abandon them a second time but, to work to build them up with an inspired outcome in mind.

Finally, something I thought was interesting was that she is a classically trained pianist! It was her major for 2 years in college. When the summer following her sophomore year she went to a piano camp that was filled with prodigies. She said when she saw a 13 year old boy sit down and play perfectly the first time a song that took her months and months to learn she realized something. She said "it was then that I came to the realization that with my degree I was going to end up teaching 12 year olds how to murder Beethovan or playing in Nordstrom. It was then I decided I needed to change my major."

Such a jokester. :) Haha anyway! Here are the promised pictures! And their explanation! Since I didn't blog yesterday... I have a couple of pictures!

Sam and her Boy were cuddling on the couch. In an attempt to break up the
lovefest... I wore the weirdest outfit I could come up with and walked into the
kitchen to make a drink. They weren't quite sure how to react. I dunno. Don't ask
it was late.

Me and Jimmer Fredette the star BYU basketball player!

My favorite boys! Lewis (with the sign) Mitchell (side profile)
oh. And their turbans.

At the Woman's game!

Bellatrix! She is in some guys room in our new ward! Needless
to say we were fast friends! We hang out with them a lot!
Oh. And I love Justin Bieber.

3 comments:

  1. we know you love JB. also you are SO lcuky about condoleeza! i had public speaking today, and we actually had to name public speakers who we admired/thought were really good. (i said stephen colbert/jon stewart). ANYWAYS. i am glad you got meet jimmer. he was on espn the other day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great day. I have always admired Condi Rice as well - I figure I can call her that because George did - who is George, you ask, President Bush! How did you get to meet Jimmer? I guess he was just looking for a cute girl to have his picture taken with:)! Not sure I would ever dress like that, regardless of motive:):)! Written by Mom on Susan's computer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too, have always found Condeleeza Rice a refined and well spoken, refined and bright woman. Basically, a woman of integrity. Her actions and words spoke volumes about her as a person. My mother taught me that you cannot hide integrity and you can't fake it. That's how I feel about her.

    Sounds like you had a really uplifting and motivating lesson.

    That outfit cracks me up! And, so do you!

    ReplyDelete